Saturday, March 29, 2008

Why Train Tricks?


I strongly believe that teaching tricks is important to having a good relationship with your dog (or other pets:Cat, Horse, Guinea Pig, Rabbit etc)

Everything we teach dogs is based on tricks: LLW, Recall, Retrieve, Sit, Down, Stand are the very basic "tricks" that your dog should know. But why stop there? I used to participate in a Freestyle group in Southern California and that was the most fun Rylie and I had. She quickly picked up new tricks and loved performing them. I then realised that because it was a "no pressure" training class she performed much better than in Obedience and Rally-Obedience. Sure, I always tried to keep our obedience training fun and used treats and toys, but would put on to much pressure and she is not a dog that could handle to much.
Reasons to train Tricks:
It is fun
You will learn how to train your dog better
Dog will quickly learn new behaviors
Keep the dogs mind busy
Entertain the crowd and maybe even enter an event and win a prize
Dogs that know tricks are more confident

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I am going to train tricks to my dogs, too. It may be good to attend a class to see how to.
Maggie